Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fort Jefferson...Where Is That?!

     Yesterday (11/28), my lovely wife and I were watching the television, more specifically the History Channel.  This is the part where many of you are probably thinking to yourself, "Gee, go figure!"  Yeah, I know, because I am thinking it too.  History is in my blood, especially United States history, so I always love a good show that has something related to that.  Back to the story.  Liz and I were watching this documentary on John Wilkes Booth.
     John Wilkes booth was the individual that assassinated President Lincoln.  He managed to survive on the run twelve days after having shot Lincoln.  He met his end while locked in a barn, surrounded by Union soldiers in rural northern Virginia.  There were eight other individuals that were co-conspirators.  They were all found guilty, four of them were sentenced to hang, and the other four were sent to prison at Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas.  One of these individuals was Samuel Mudd, the doctor that set Booth's broken leg caused by jumping down onto the stage at Ford's Theater.  Mudd's sentence of life imprisonment was reduced to four years when, in 1869, President Andrew Johnson pardoned him.
     What I find so interesting about all of this is the selection of Fort Jefferson to house the four conspirators.  As you will see in these photos that I "grabbed" from Google Maps, Fort Jefferson is out in the middle of NOWHERE.  The fort is seventy miles from Key West in Florida.  Maybe one day, I will be able to go there.





     These photographs are from "zoomed out" to "zoomed in."  I have used them just to give you an idea as to the location of the fort, as well as the isolation of the fort.

Source of pictures: maps.google.com

Source of information: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wilkes_Booth
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/lincolnconspiracy/lincolnaccount.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Mudd
http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment