Saturday, November 6, 2010

Linking the Past and the Present

     There are some things about today that I would like to mention.  Historically, there were several events that occurred on November 6th, but one in particular that I would like to mention.  I was looking on the History Channel website to see what happened on "This Day in History" and one event jumped out at me.  On this day back in 1789, John Carroll was named the first Catholic bishop in the United States.  Remember, the United States Constitution was signed in 1787 and subsequently ratified in 1787-88.  The year 1789 was one of those years where several things happened.  The United States Treasury was established.  George Washington became the first President of the United States of America.  The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was established becoming the first public university in the United States.
     The reason why John Carroll, becoming the first bishop, jumped out to me is because of my friend Patrick Shanahan.  Patrick and I have known each other since elementary school.  He lived up the street from me.  We even got in big trouble together our sophomore year of high school, causing me to be grounded for a month.  Now its one of those situations where we, and each of our parentals, can look back and chuckle about it.  After graduating high school, Patrick embarked on his collegiate adventures to John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio.  Patrick is now serving our country in the United States Navy aboard the U.S.S Virginia (SSN-774).  Patrick, thank you and thanks to all of your shipmates for serving our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment