Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rhubarb!!!

First of all, I would like to apologize for not having posted ANYTHING for the past several weeks.  I haven't really had any inspiration/motivation to write anything.  I can't necessarily promise that I will have something posted every day, but I will do my best.

I got the idea today of telling a story about a part of my life from the past.  This story takes place in the spring of 1992.  I was a 5th grade student at Candlewood Elementary School (MCPS) in Derwood, MD.  Fifth grade at Candlewood was probably one of the best years of my life in public school.  My fifth grade teacher, Mr. Kuykendall, was my favorite teacher from elementary school.  He is the one that inspired me teach.  On a side note, two of my high school teachers (Mr. Handler - AP European History; and Colonel Whiteside - World History) inspired me to get my undergrad degree in history and ultimately become a social studies teacher.

Back to elementary school.  My fifth grade year was one of the best.  As a school, we won the national Blue Ribbon award.  I was a school patrol, starting out the year as a private.  February rolled around and I was voted Patrol of the Month, which meant that I got to wear the gold patrol badge for the month.  Also during that month was the time that the officer positions, with the exception of Captain, were changed.  I was selected to serve as the Publicity Lieutenant, which meant that any announcement that needed to be made over the P.A. system concerning the patrols was made by me.  At the end of the year I was selected as a Patrol of the Year (if I remember correctly, there were only 3 of us), which awarded a $20 gift certificate to one of the local movie theater hot spots and a tiny gold patrol badge (it is still pinned to my Candlewood Eagles jacket hanging in my bedroom closet at my parents house).


I learned the 50 States song and still have the 50 states memorized in alphabetical order.  If you don't believe me, you can ask any one of my fellow colleagues where I teach.  Mr. K introduced me to Tasty Cake's Butterscotch Krimpets.  He also taught me, along with some of my fellow classmates, how to play Carrom.  You are probably wondering why this post is called "Rhubarb!!!"  Well, it has to do with the fifth grade play, which, by the way, was directed by Mr. K.

The play was Rhubarb.  There was a princess who was available for marriage.  She did not like any of the suitor princes that came a courtin'.  As a protest to them and her parents, the king and queen, the only word that would come out of her mouth was, "Rhubarb."  There was a lowly count.  No, his name was not "of Monte Cristo", but "Widdershins."  Count Widdershins fell in love with the princess and the princess returned her love for the count.  The problem was that he was a count, not a prince.  Also, I forgot to mention that occasionally Count Widdershins would sing if he had something to say.  The king and queen eventually realized that they needed to more concerned for their daughter's happiness rather than royal tradition.  Count Widdershins was made a prince so that he and the princess could marry.  The part of Count Widdershins was the lead male role in the play.  I, Kevin Crumpler, was Count Widdershins.  I was also Card #4.  See for yourself!


The boy that is bowing...that's me.


From left to right: Patrick, Jeffrey, Alison, and Yours Truly.  Also, and I forgot to mention this in my original posting...I still have the script.

I have some fond memories of elementary school, but none so fond as my 5th grade year as a Candlewood Eagle.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I was in that play but i dont remember what role i had. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete