Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Rivalry Like None Other

     I cannot explain the feelings and adrenaline that are pulsating through my body right now.  Today is the last day of the regular season for college basketball.  This means only one thing to me.  North Carolina vs. Duke.  Yes, I did go to college in Oklahoma and consider myself a Sooner, but that doesn't mean that I gave up my roots.  Carolina blue and Carolina basketball runs through my veins.  With every North Carolina point scored I pump my fist with excitement.  With every Duke point NOT scored I pump my fist with excitement.  For those people that do not understand why this is such an intense rivalry, there is one major reason.  These two schools are separated by only eight (8) miles.  This is pretty much the same distance from the Norman Public Schools Administration building to the Moore Public Schools Administration building.  Let me put this another way.  Consider the rivalry between Oklahoma and Texas.  The Red River Rivalry, especially when it comes to football, is a pretty serious rivalry.  Would you like to take that rivalry to a whole new level?  Imagine the University of Texas being located in Moore, OK.  Take the distance between Norman and Moore (after placing UT in Moore) and the rivalry between OU and UT and add them together.  THAT is North Carolina vs. Duke.  Finally, in honor of my father (UNC Class of 1971) and all the Tar Heel fans around the world, I leave you with these words...

Hark The Sound
by William Starr Myers, class of 1897

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices
Ringing clear and True
Singing Carolina's praises
Shouting N.C.U.

Hail to the brightest Star of all
Clear its radiance shine
Carolina priceless gem,
Receive all praises thine.

I'm a Tar Heel born I'm a Tar Heel bred
And when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead.
So it's RAH, RAH, Car'lina 'lina
RAH, RAH, Car'lina 'lina
RAH, RAH, Car'lina
RAH! RAH! RAH!

'Neath the oaks the sons true hearted
Homage pay to thee
Time worn walls give back their echo
Hail to U.N.C.

Though the storms of life assail us
Still our hearts beat true
Naught can break the friendships formed at
Dear old N.C.U.
























Source of lyrics: http://www.lib.unc.edu/music/uncsongs.html
Source of picture: http://www.storycorps.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/blogger/blogger/3450/1037/1600/IMG_4678.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment