Sunday, April 10, 2011

50 of My Favorite Films to Watch...35-31.

     It is time for round 4! Dun dun dun!

#35     Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.  Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."

source of picture: http://image.allmusic.com/00/adg/cov200/drt000/t053/t05341m7q7c.jpg

Every guy understands the hilarity of this movie.  Perhaps not every gal understands.  I don't know if I have ever seen so many comedic sketches all rolled up into one.  One word.  Brilliant.



#34     The Matrix

"There IS no spoon."


source of picture: http://images.wikia.com/matrix/images/d/df/Matrix_High.jpg

Dodging bullets.  Stopping bullets.  Oh. Yeah.



#33     Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

"Who's scruffy-looking?"


source of picture: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/e4/Empire_strikes_back_old.jpg

I wasn't born yet when this came out in the theater (1 year shy) but you bet I grew up watching THE trilogy.  For the longest time, this one was my least favorite of the three.  It was probably because as a kid, I didn't really appreciate or understand character development and story lines.  I also didn't like it when there was the sense of loss with Han being frozen.  As I have gotten older, I have come to appreciate this one more and more.  It still saddens me some at the end, but I always look ahead to the ensuing victory.



#32     Road to Perdition

"There are many stories about Michael Sullivan. Some say he was a decent man. Some say there was no good in him at all. But I once spent 6 weeks on the road with him, in the winter of 1931. This is our story."


 source of picture: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BuimjVeEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

 This would not be your classical mobster movie.  There are four things about this movie that are terrific.  Great cast.  Filmed in Chicago.  The cinematography is astounding.  The music is amazing (Thomas Newman, same one that did Shawshank).



#31     National Treasure

"The secret lies with Charlotte."


source of picture: http://www.moviedisney.com/images/National_Treasure.jpg

I know, I know.  Nicolas Cage.  Him in the movie doesn't outdo my love for American history, no matter how fictional it may be.  This movie revolves around the Declaration of Independence.  It takes place in the historical cities of Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, New York City, and Boston.  I love it.


Stay tuned for the next installment of my favorite films to watch...30-26.
*Movie quotes come from the individual movie pages found on www.imdb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment