Sunday, August 7, 2011

A New Focus and New Job

     So when was the last time I posted?  Ah yes, July 16, 2011.  What day is it today?  Ah yes, August 7, 2011.  I will be honest, it is really hard for me to be consistent in posting something almost everyday AND have it be related to history.  If I really wanted to do that, I would just post a link to the History Channel website.  I need a new focus for this blog.  I think I know what I am going to do.  I am going to have a regular blog concerning regular things.  Sure, some of them might be related to history, but not everything will be.  Take this for starters.  Here follows the account of my job situation over the summer.

     At the beginning of June, I was up at school visiting my wife, who was still on contract.  The principal asked me to "step into his office" (he didn't actually use those words) where he informed me that my teaching position was being cut.  Just to give you an idea, each school in the district was being asked to cut two positions.  Mine was one of them at the school where I was teaching.  Obviously from my point of view, this was a horrible decision, but from the district's point of view, it made sense.  I was just finishing up my second year of teaching and was on temporary contract.  I was also teaching a subject that does not have a state-mandated test.  Once again I was looking for a teaching job.  There were several positions I applied for, but ended up interviewing for only one of the them.  We are still in June.

     The same day I interviewed for this position, I received a phone call from my principal about a position that would very likely be opening up at the school where I had been teaching.  Over the course of the next several weeks (we are now in July), I was waiting for the job to be posted on the district website so that I could apply for it.  The job was posted.  I applied for it.  About a week and a half later, I received a phone call for an interview.  I was really stoked because I honestly thought I would be at the top of the list to fill the position.  I had been at the school for the past two years.  I knew the faculty.  I knew the kids.  I wanted to be there.  The interview was on a Wednesday and I was told that I would find out by the end of the week.  Friday rolled around and I didn't hear anything.  It was now August.  Monday came.  Nothing.  I was losing sleep due to anxiety and worry.  Now it was Tuesday.  I had breakfast that morning with my good mentor and friend Chris.  He mentioned the principle of God's timing.  More on that later.  The morning hours passed and I still didn't hear.  I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to hear and that I didn't get the job.  Feeling conflicting emotions and thinking conflicting thoughts, I decided to see what else was out there.  I wasn't sure there would be jobs available.  I wasn't the only cut teacher looking for a job.  School was getting ready to start.  One district had already started.  I found two positions that had been posted on another school district's website.  I filled out the online application.  I applied for the two positions.  I didn't expect things to snowball (good snowball) from there.  Within a couple hours of applying, I received a phone call for an interview.  The following morning I interviewed and that was it.  I was being recommended for the position.  I got the job.  The burden of needing a job to provide for my wife and I was lifted off of my shoulders.  And I could sleep.

      Now for the hindsight.  When you come to God asking for His provision, it will be in His timing, never yours.  Leading up to the interview for the position at the school where I had been, I was wanting what I knew and what was comfortable.  What I thought I wanted was not what I needed.  What I needed was to abandon my comforts and desires and follow by faith.  Moving to a new school as a teacher can be scary, but in Him there is no fear and He will always remain faithful.

1 comment:

  1. Good perspective- thanks for sharing. Very happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete