Sunday, September 11, 2011

Land of the Free. Home of the Brave

     September 11, 2001.  The first semester of my junior year of college has just begun several weeks prior.  Oklahoma was 3-0 in football and had just finished beating North Texas 37-10 the Saturday before.

     I woke up to my alarm, probably around 8:45.  I walked into the front room and turned on the TV.  The channel it was on was one of the local TV stations, but it was airing footage from New York City.  It was hard to believe what I was seeing.  The top of one of the World Trade Center buildings was spewing smoke.  They said that a commercial airliner had been flown into the top of the building.  Just over 15 minutes into watching the news, I saw the second plane fly right into the second tower.  Now I definitely could not believe what I was seeing.

     The whole time I was thinking, "Is this really happening?"  My memories from high school of seeing the OKC bombing on the news when I got home from school on April 19, 1995 (I went to school in Maryland) were popping in my head.  So were the memories of the Columbine shooting.  I was asking myself, "How can something like this happen?"

     I didn't go to class at all that day.  I was glued to the TV watching the news coverage.  Once it was mentioned that a plane had flown into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., I called my parents to ask if they were okay.  I had forgotten that earlier in the summer of 2001, they had moved from Maryland up to Pennsylvania.  They were completely fine because they were out of harms way.

     It has taken me several years to see the fruition of history being made.  Everything has changed because of September 11th.  With regard to United States history being taught in school, it will soon be taught in three semesters instead of two.  What the 1840's and 1850's were to the Civil War, the 1980's and 1990's are to September 11th.  Everything has changed.

     I would like to leave you with a song that came out in 2004.  This song was written because of the events that happened on our most modern Day of Infamy.  This is a music video by Michael W. Smith and the song is called, "There She Stands."


No comments:

Post a Comment