Friday, January 6, 2012

50 of My Favorite Films to Watch...The Top 5.

Okay, so apparently "Coming Soon" was not soon enough.  On the other hand, I guess you could say this is nice timing being that today is The Pioneer Woman's birthday.  She really loves movies, as do I, and so in honor of her and her birthday, here is my top 5, in order, of 50 of My Favorite Films to Watch. Enjoy!


#5   The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

"It's the dwarves that go swimming...with little, hairy women."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167260/

I really like seeing Sauron get his rear handed to him in this one, especially with the King of the Dead and his army.  I do have to admit that the one reason why I hate watching this movie is because I tear up quite drastically at the end every time and it starts with the line, "My friends, you bow to no one."


#4   Back to the Future

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/

The idea of just going back in time, especially in a Delorean, is fantastic!  Okay, true story...when I was in 5th grade learning about the Revolutionary War and how the British fought (lining up and standing there, in plain sight), I would sometimes daydream about going back in time with a bunch of machine guns and the occasional sniper rifle to help the Continental Army win faster.  I love you Flux Capacitor!


#3   Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

"Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086190/

I want an Ewok.  Technically my dog is part Ewok, at least she looks it.  The rebels win!  Luke saves his father!  The Death Star gets blown up again, even with "it's a trap!"  The rebels win!


#2   The Last Starfighter

"Di-a-rrhea!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087597/

Guy plays video game.  Guy beats video game.  Guy plays video game...in real life.  What is there not to like about this?!!!


#1   The Goonies

"First you gotta do the truffle shuffle."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089218/

Okay, those that know me, especially my wife, know that I really do love this movie the most.  I love it so much that during the summer after my freshman year of college, I would watch it almost every night before going to bed.  Also during college, a local church college group was having an 80's night and the movie they watched was, of course, this one.  The college pastor knew that I loved the movie AND knew that I knew the script.  I was tasked with sitting in the sound booth and pressing the mute button every time there was a cuss word.



As I was typing up my top 5 list, I thought of a couple of things.  First, my top 5 are movies that I know almost, if not every, line to.  Here is the second thing that occurred to me.  The years that these movies came out, in order of their ranking from #5 to #1, is 2003, 1985, 1983, 1984, and 1985.  What do YOU notice?  I was born in the early 1980s.  I am very much in love with the movies that I grew up watching as a young boy.  I am very nostalgic when it comes to cinema.  "That's all I have to say, about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment