Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thee Abraham Lincoln

     So today I went to see Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN.  I knew the overall synopsis of the movie as far as what it was about, but I really didn't know what to expect beyond that.  There are three points that I would like to make about this movie.

     The first is that I definitely do not know that much about Abraham Lincoln as I thought I did.  The book that the film was based on, Team of Rivals, is now on my list to read once I get done with re-reading The Hobbit.

     The second point is that this film completely shattered my educational upbringing and understanding of perceptions of slavery in the northern states.  I was taught to believe that the North was against slavery and the South was for it.  There were men in the U.S. House of Representatives from Northern, pro-Union states, that were against the passing of the 13th Amendment.  This film made me reflect upon the war that rages on in my own head and heart as to the current political issues in this country right now regarding what is legal and illegal isn't the same as what is right and wrong.

     Finally the third point is simply this.  The humanity of Abraham Lincoln.  History has idolized the man that was elected the 16th President of the United States in 1860.  The film does show some of that idolization even during the actual time period.  I was very impressed at how caring and concerned Lincoln was for people and relieved to see that he had his own struggles and concerns that he had to deal with in his personal life.

     I love how so many serious situations that occur in the film bring up the need for story time.  I love the stories that are told by the character of Lincoln.  He even gives a shout out to the world of mathematics by sharing a story about the time he read a book by Euclid.

     I will leave you with this final thoughts....Go see the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment